Leveling the Playing Field
Competition for a piece of the pie has never been fiercer. Every day the battle for additional market share and new revenue rages. Every day at the close of business, when the bell is rung there are winners and there are losers. Welcome to the jungle baby where only the strong survive.
Business Strength has traditionally been equated with size. Historically large companies have held sway and advantage over their smaller and thus less well equipped challengers. The size of a Company’s telephony infrastructure investment would seem to run parallel to capability. And the companies with the greatest capability are the favorites in the daily battle for market share and revenue attainment.
Large companies invest huge amounts of treasure annually on their Legacy telephone systems. Not only on the costly premise based equipment that make up these unwieldy beasts, but also on the support personnel (Internal/Outsourced) required to keep the bulky phone systems running. For decades this has resulted in an uneven playing field and placed small/medium sized business players at a distinct capabilities disadvantage.
Well, things have changed. A huge technology driven paradigm shift has taken place. Today the playing field can be leveled through the leveraging of Hosted VoIP, Cloud Based IP PBX and Hosted Contact/Call Center technologies/Services. Small and medium sized businesses now have telephony tools/features available to them that were once only accessible to very large companies with deep pockets.
Would you classify your business as one of the following?:
– Small/medium sized business
– Small/medium sized Contact/Call Center
– Company w/ multiple small/medium sized locations spread across a city, state or the USA!
– Small/medium sized company that does not have a traditional brick & mortar office.
– Small/medium sized business that has employees at the office, has (Or Would Like to have!) remote telecommuters working from various home offices.
– Outsourced IT shop that caters to small and medium sized businesses
– Field or sales personnel that spend a lot of time traveling or out of the office
If your existing phone system does not currently offer the very basic telephony features / capabilities listed below, you, your company and your employees are at a distinct disadvantage, period. Do you or do you not have:
– Automated Greetings (Interactive Voice Response or IVR) “Thank you for calling ABC Company. Please Press 1 for Sales, Press 2 for Support….”
– Dial-By-Name Company Directory: Callers can dial a first/last name to get to the extension they need.
– Caller ID on call waiting: Know who is calling before interrupting current call.
– Call Forwarding: Ability to redirect calls to your mobile or other phone so you won’t miss any calls.
– Music on Hold: Easily put a call on hold while you answer another call while the person on hold listens to music or pre-recorded marketing messages.
– Call Transfer: Attended Transfer (alert forwarding party before transfer) and Blind Transfer (Transfer call directly)
– Call Waiting: Be notified when someone else is trying to call if you are already on a call.
– Do Not Disturb: Callers go directly to voicemail when you do not want to be disturbed.
– Call Logs: Provides detailed call records by extension or account.
– Password Protected Voicemail: Prevent unauthorized access to voicemail.
– Voicemail Greeting Options: Unavailable / Busy / Employee’s Name
– Voicemail to Email: Receive voicemail as a .wav file (or “audio file”) attached to email.
– Remote Access: Lets you check your voicemail through web interface.
– Visual Waiting Indicator: Works with your IP phone’s message indicator light
The features listed above (and many more) basically come standard with today’s typical Hosted VoIP/Cloud Based IP PBX offerings. Upfront costs for a company upgrading to, or purchasing Hosted VoIP service for the first time, are minimal. In most cases there are few or zero beginning equipment purchases to make outside of new IP Phones, New Router, etc. Monthly service costs are also typically much lower than what small to medium sized company’s regularly pay out every month for copper lines, PRI’s and Long Distance services. Savings on MRC (Monthly Recurring Charges) by implementing Hosted VoIP can be significant. It is not unusual to see a 30% to 50% monthly cost savings on your telecommunication expenses by taking the VoIP plunge.
Switching to Hosted VoIP can:
– Give your company more capabilities
– Save you money
– Give your company a competitive edge
– Be a hedge against obsolescence
– Increase customer retention
– Greatly increase productivity
– Greatly increase efficiency
– Lower maintenance costs
– Lower support costs
– And many more
Go ahead and get started researching/planning your company’s switch to/upgrade to Hosted VoIP. Take the necessary steps and focus on getting that playing field leveled more toward your company’s favor. You doing so will ensure that when the bell rings at the close of each business day, your company has the right tools and is correctly positioned to consistently end up in the Winners Circle!~
Denver Griffith is an experienced Telecommunications Professional that holds the position of Vice President of Sales with Exabar Telecom based in Austin Texas. firstname.lastname@example.org